PARENT VISA AUSTRALIA
There are many visa types for Parents of Australian citizens or Permanent residents who like to bring their parents to Australia. Journey Group have agents who are specialised in Parent and Family migration. Whether inside or outside Australia we can assist you in a range of family migration including Parent, Aged Parent, Contributory Parent visas. Contact us to get updated information on family migration options.
You might be eligible to apply for a parent category visa if:
- you have a child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- your child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before you lodge your visa application
- you have a sponsor
- you meet the Balance of family test criteria
- you meet health and character requirements.
How long can I stay in Australia on a parent category visa?
A parent category visa allows you to:
- live in Australia for up to 2 years as a temporary resident, or
- live in Australia as an Australian permanent resident.
You will need to have a sponsor to apply for a parent category visa to live in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident.
A sponsor must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who:
- is 18 years of age or over
- has lived in Australia lawfully for at least two years before the parent lodges their visa application.
There are special provisions for a sponsor under 18 years of age.
These provisions are explained in the visa options below.
Balance of family test
All applicants for a parent visa must meet the balance of family test.
The balance of family test is designed to determine the extent of your links to Australia.
You meet the balance of family test if:
- at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or
- more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
The following visa options allow a parent to:
- live in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident.
Which visa option is right for me?
The following scenarios are designed to assist a person to understand which visa options might be available to them.
Parent visa options vary depending on your circumstances, including:
- if you are applying in or outside of Australia.