Features of Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408)
This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:
- work in the entertainment industry
- participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
- participate or observe in an Australian research project
- work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
- participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs
- participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits
- do full-time religious work
- be employed as a superyacht crew member
- do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
- have the skills to undertake the activity to be carried out in Australia
- be supported or sponsored
- meet additional requirements of the relevant stream
Length of stay
- If invited by an organisation to participate in a specific event – 3 months
- If participating in Australian government activities – 4 years
- All other activities – 2 years
From AUD 310 –
COVID-19 Pandemic visa: Free
Who could get this visa
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- intend to stay in Australia for three months or less and apply from outside Australia, and you have the support of an organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events or activities being undertaken who passes the support test
- intend to stay in Australia for more than three months and you are sponsored by an approved sponsor for this visa who passes the sponsorship test
- meet the requirements of the activity type in which you are applying for this visa
- have adequate financial support for you and your family while you are in Australia
- have adequate arrangements for health insurance while you are in Australia
- meet health and character requirements
- genuinely intend to remain temporarily in Australia to do the work or activity specified in your application.
Genuine Temporary Entrant
The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that the temporary visa programme is used as intended and not as a way to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. Temporary residents are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa.
The GTE requirement applies to all temporary activity visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the visa applicant indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
When assessing the GTE requirement, we will consider:
- your circumstances
- your immigration history
- compliance with visa conditions
- if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
- any other relevant matter.
English language requirements
Visa applicants for special program should have functional English language (IELTS 4.5 or equivalent) . This is to ensure that participants fully experience the cultural and social benefits of the special programme and to ensure occupational health and safety standards are met.
If you apply in Australia or you apply outside Australia and you intend to stay for more than 3 months you must provide the following from your sponsor:
- Sponsors Transaction Reference Number or Sponsorship Application ID
- Sponsor approval letter or receipt for lodgement of the sponsorship application.
- A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and all dependent family members included in your application.